Thursday, June 7, 2012

Breaking Glaciers

The day after my triple-peak climb I boarded the Alaska Railroad and headed southeast along Seward Highway to a tiny port town called Whittier. Even the train rides in Alaska are intense- we saw a Pilot Whale, many Dall Sheep, a few moose (including a calf), and multiple eagles. Seward Highway is named one of the most beautiful drives in America, and for good reason. The mountains that follow you as you drive are just amazing.

Whittier was absolutely tiny- basically just a harbor in my opinion. I've been hearing it mentioned so many times up here that I figured it would be a decent sized town. It's not. Just a great location to start an adventure.

My cruise of Prince William Sound lasted about 5 hours and included a salmon-and-prime-rib dinner. Good stuff. The water was an amazing color that my pictures can't begin to convey, and the scenery was spectacular. We saw otters, seal, mountain goats, and a large amount of birds. We were lucky enough to witness one of the glaciers calving! Huge chunks of ice crashed into the water and caused waves and a splash way bigger than I would have thought possible.






Photo editing provided by Jared Imm!

No comments:

Post a Comment